Sate Beef with Peanut Sauce
1-1.15 lb. flank steak
3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
3 Tablespoons coconut milk
1.5 Tablespoons soy sauce
2.25 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1.5 teaspoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons lime jice
3/5 teaspoon red curry paste (you should be able to get this at your grocery store, on the "foreign" food shelf)
- Start grill (or broiler, if you have air conditioning in your kitchen)
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain in 1/4 inch slices.
- Combine steak and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Mix to coat.
- Thread steak onto skewers.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Mix sauce ingredients together, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat grill or broiler pan with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side or until they're done. They should still be a little pink in the middle. If they're not, they'll taste like chalk dust.
- Serve meat along with sauce in small dipping bowls.
Will, who loves this dish but hates picking little bits of beef out of his teeth: 9.999
Lucy, who hates peanut butter but digs this dish: 10
Jamie, who eats it without the peanut sauce: 10
Ellen, who's not a big beef eater, though she does have one of those funny hats: 8
Paul, who's a big fat pig: 10