One additional bonus is that since all of the spice is in the sauce, kids and adults can take it or leave it as fits their own personal tastes.
Grilled Salmon with Thai Basil Sauce1 & 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (divided)
1/2+ cup fresh mint leaves (not quite 3/4 of a cup)
1-2 Tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper
3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 teaspoons minced, peeled ginger
1.5 teaspoons sugar
3 teaspoons fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4-6 six-ounce salmon steaks, at least 1 inch thick
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4-6 lime wedges
- Prepare the grill.
- Set aside 1/2 cup basil and the limes for garnish.
- Combine the rest of the basil and the next seven ingredients (through garlic) in a blender or small food processor. Process until relatively smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salmon steaks with salt and pepper.
- Coat a grill rack with cooking spray (I use a separate grilling basket), then grill the salmon, skin side down, for five minutes.
- Turn the salmon over and grill for five more minutes. Should be flakey when tested with a fork.
- Serve salmon on individual plates, with sauce in a bowl. Allow everyone to take as much sauce as he/she desires. Or none at all.
Will, who likes fish but doesn't take much of the sauce: 8.5
Lucy, who swears she hates fish but really doesn't and who likes Thai food: 8 (but really probably 10)
Jamie, who can't understand why anyone would eat that green stuff: 7
Ellen: "Are you kidding? 10!"
Paul who's essentially just a big show-off: 10